Friday, March 11, 2016

We’re in Paris. The city adopted by Beckett as his own. I look for him on the streets, a tall, gaunt, figure, dressed in black. I know he’s here somewhere, taking long slow strides and smiling at the thought that we will be performing “Godot” in Yiddish. He’ll be at every performance.

Tonight we attended a reception at the Irish Embassy, a grand mansion near the Arc d’triomphe. Actors, writers, dancers, sculptors, all of them very gracious and looking forward to seeing our show. Anne Atik Arikha, whose husband painter Avigdor Arikha and Beckett were close friends, told me that “Sam would have been delighted to have it played in Yiddish. It was a pleasant couple of hours.

I was speaking to one of the Irish actors about Yiddish theater and he said to me that it was primarily known for musicals. Well, who can we blame but ourselves for giving him that impression. The much touted exhibition on Yiddish theater at The Museum of the City of New York ends with Funny Girl and Fiddler on the Roof. New Yiddish Rep isn’t represented at all. Perhaps because we don’t do musicals.

Have had no contact yet with the Yiddish/Jewish community here. Although I’m not surprised, i must admit I’m disappointed. I was told by the festival’s line director that she has been contacted with inquiries about the show. Perhaps we will be pleasantly surprised.

I can’t wait to get on stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment